I was supposed to go see my Dad this morning...but at 10:30, Cuyler decided to go to sleep.
He must be making up for the night before last when he was up until 1am for no apparent reason. He went down great last night...took his usual poop and woke up before 6:30 this morning. So I think he's just catching up on his sleep. We'll go see Granda after lunch.
So the poops are still nasty and I think we are going to try and remove yeast and sugar from his diet. I think it's impossible to do. But I also thought that about gluten and casein. And he's been off of those since May...well, except for the cheeseburger he ate yesterday. I'm surprised he didn't have a complete meltdown after ingesting cheese and a bun. But I popped some digestive enzymes into him as soon as I could. Who knows if that helped. But he did okay.
These are the things that I am referring to when I say that I never expected this to be my life. I never thought I'd have a kid on one of those whacked out, quacked out diets. I am reading book after book on autsim or dietary interventions. I am constantly looking online for different, more useful info on the diet.
I have a binder that is nearing the "full" mark with all of the various reports we have from various sources, programs and services he's been in. The first one is dated March 23 2003. The most recent I put in yesterday. As I put it in, I thought "I have nothing like this for Cam" Then I wondered what I would be doing if we didn't have a child with autism.
Would I be working? Maybe.
Would my life be easier? Definately.
Would it be better? Doubt it.
I was on a message board and there was a discussion about it. The discussion was sort of about changing the affected person to fit into the world. And there is a mom on the board who has aspergers. Her children are fine. Her perspective is so very different from mine. Hers as a person with aspergers. Mine as the mother of a child with asd...do I want to change him? No. I want to change his life. By making it an easier world to live in.
It's almost like me wanting to scratch the freckles off of Cams nose. So people won't make fun of him. His freckles are part of who he is. That's like Cuyler and the asd. He wouldn't be who he is without it the dx. He's a pretty neat kid. And he's so much fun. So would life be easier without his autism - yes. Would it be better - I very much doubt it.
On some level, I am grateful for his diagnosis. Cuyler has made Sean and I better and more capable parents, he has given Cam an awareness about people that not many 4 yr olds have. And we would not have this wonderful, unique dynamic to our family that not many people I know have.
Plus...if he weren't autistic, he would probably know that he wasn't a real magician. It's more fun thinking you are!


4 Comments:
awwwwwwwwwww christine,cam and cuyler showed up for a visit today. how lovely to see them all. we had a great visit and cuyler is doing just wonderful thanks to seans and christines dedication and love.cam was cam, just no stopping that kid teehee!christine looked as lovely as ever.made my day they did.
granda
I always believe that God hands us what we can handle and gives us all a job in life, I believe that Cuyler has it great with you as you are honest about your life and how you fell about it.
I always tell myself that I think we are given complicated "bumps" that we believe we can not concour, but in the end we are only given these "bumps" in life to show us how great we really are, and how well we handle our lives.
I think you are an amazing and strong woman, and your family should be greatful to have you. Not alot of Mothers would dedicate all their time looking into Autism and the different studies of it. Most would just be satisfied putting thier children into programs and having others try to "help" their Children.
Stay just the way you are, and be strong! I can only dream to have your courage in life. We can all learn a little from you.
Lora :)
It won't be long until that folder of yours is a whole filing cabnet!!
;)
Robin
YOU GOT IT FIXED !!!! YAYYYYYYY YOU GO GIRL.
Post a Comment
<< Home