Heard Tonight at Bedtime (courtesy of Campbell):
Now I lay me dow to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
The angels watch me through the night
Until I wake in the morning light
God Bless Toronto who are done now, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal who sucks, Green Day, Phoenix, Carolina, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
I'm done. Amen.
God...What a hockey fan. (and Green Day too...seriously - Green Day was tucked in there like that)
We went to the BIG mall today. Cuyler did so good. He even managed the escalators just fine.
Little kids + escalators = nervous me.
I was ready to tell Sean to pick him up, but Sean knew better. He knew that Cuyler could do it. And if he couldn't - then he was gonna learn.
But he stepped on, was steady and stepped off.
Tomorrow I think I am going to call his speech therapist and cancel his speech program altogether. He hasn't been since November due to his being in the horrible social group. And the fact that he gets 1 hour, once a month is making me question whether or not it's even making a lick of difference.
My only holdback is that it is his ONLY formal therapy.
I have posted on some other message boards asking whether RDI can replace the ST as it focusses on the core deficits...one being communication. The speech pathologist does not have all that much experience with autism and sometimes suggests strategies that contradict RDI. For example she'll suggest we expand his language by adding to ours versus RDI in which we just stop using language all together (for certain pockets of time throughout the day) so he has to rely on expressions and gestures or at the very least, use as much language as Cuy does.
So that's my latest conundrum. I think I know what the answer is. His issues are not speech related, they're autism related.
He has langauge and it is becoming more and more functional. So if we focus on the autism, the speech and language will come.
Right?


2 Comments:
One hour a week once a month? Is that through your county's early intervention system? I'd say that 1 hour a month probably isn't helping all that much. Does the ST at least give suggestions that are helpful? C gets one hour per week and I question whether it's worth keeping. I've found that forcing C to talk is what works best. I don't give him anything unless he asks for it (i.e. "I want _______").
I'm with ya on the escalators/little kid fear. My oldest daughter was four when her shoe lace got caught in the metal teeth and I had to literally yank her out of its clutches. Scared me to death!
If that's the Toronto Preschool Speech and Language program it was pretty useless.
We avoided social skills groups like the plague and when my dd hated the language class (money saving get all the kids together instead of one on one; we dropped it.
My dd's best SLP was private; we are planning one more session this summer for finishing touches after adenoid surgery.
Post a Comment
<< Home