Monday, October 16, 2006

Heard today:

"Look Mommy - car fell in the water!"
(Watching Curious George)

"Mommy? Where's the green?"
(Looking for the green Pop Up Pirate sword)

"Cam isss spiderman! Cam spiderman Mommy!"
(When Cam put his spiderman mask on)

"Let's build a tower Mommy!"
(After pulling all the cushions off the couch)

"That baby's having bath."
(Looking at an old photo of Cam wrapped in a towel)


I gotta say - I think this RDI stuff is really working...
The only way I can describe the change in him, is that he's got more substance to him. Sounds bad - but really, he is offering alot more. He's asking questions. He's sharing his thoughts. He's describing and sharing things he see's.
I remember back to the days when he was 2 and a half and would look at me and say "Doos" (for juice) and how thrilled I was that he was "communicating".
I have always been well aware that communication is much more than just spoken words. I've always tried to focus on gestures and extending his language.
RDI is teaching us how to slow down, use less words - more expressions and gestures, wait and/or him and give him time to process.
We are seeing the results.
My biggest hope is that this becomes as mainstream as ABA/IBI and that other families get to meet and know thier child with ASD as we are now meeting and getting to know Cuyler.


Oh - soother update:
Out of nowhere he asked for his soo. "Soo? I want my soo Mommy."
I was worried for a sec that it would end in a tantrum, because after over a week wihtout one, he was not getting one.
I just said "No. Soothers are all gone. No more soo."
And that was it. He didn't ask again and went about what he was doing.
PHEW!
Right about now is when he would get one. He watched Curious George with Cam and when it was over I turned it off. He is currently downstairs rolling all over the floor, bawling his eyes out, shouting "George! Where are you? George back on! Curious Geooooorge!"
If I took a soother down and popped it into his mouth, he'd stop. On the spot - immediately. But I want him to be able to cope and manage these things without a soother. And he's getting better. In the time I've typed this post - he's stopped.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on being paci free! it must be an amazing feeling :)

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nice blog. Really enjoyed it. Your kids are lovable. By the way do you know there are some people waiting for to help you. Try out yourself by placing an order with
Order Taking

11:01 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

You are definitely inspiring me to consider tossing C's "toot" (Dutch for pacifier). He asks for it all the time but he also has to have his trusty blue dog with him as well. I'm not sure if I can get rid of one without the other.

And what language you're hearing! That's so, so, so wonderful!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home