Sunday, August 20, 2006



This impressed me to no end. For most people, looking at this wouldn't mean very much. Some sidewalk chalk faces and a bird. And 2 stars.

Cuyler wanted to "Do ABC's!" so we went outside, pulled out the chalk and started to redecorate the driveway. He asked me to draw a happy face. I did.
Sad face.
Another happy face.
Surprised faced.
Another sad face.
Angry face.
And the face at the very top - that guy is sleeping. Cuy was looking at them labelling each of them "He's soo happeeeee!" "He's soo saaaad!"
As he labelled them, I drew the upside down bird. Then the 2 stars that he asked for. Blue stars! Blue stars! Then all of a sudden I heard him say "Feet! Sad feet. Sup-wize feet. Sad feet. Mommy angry feet. Sandals on!"
I looked at the faces and realized that he had actually drew the "feet" on them. And he was asking me to draw feet on the angry guy at the bottom. Sandals actually, so I did - but they look so ridiculous that I didn't get them in the picture.
This is the first thing that he has ever drawn that has represented anything. And the fact that he thought about it, and had the dexterity and eye hand co-ordination to put the "feet" where they belong. I was floored! And thrilled. He usually just makes meaningless marks. And when they're not meaningless, they're like this:
Just colours that represent his most favourite people in the whole wide world!





Even that impresses us. He will just sit for ages singing Wiggles songs and putting a bit of colour on each Wiggle (always the correct colour!). We'll sit with him and he'll hand us a crayon and tell us which one to colour.
But the feet on the faces...that's big.

Again - not much to most. Major for us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mamaroo said...

That is really amazing that Cuyler drew the feet on the faces. Really amazing!!! He seems to be doing so well overall. Keep up the great work!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

That is HUGE!!!! I totally get it :o) The story about how he came to draw the feet with the faces was too cute. I could'nt help but say "Awwwwwwww".

Take care,
Kristin

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home