I've been blogstipated again...among other-stipated...ugh.
I've had alot to write about, but as soon as I get ready to type, I just feel wiped and head over to my celebrity gossip sites. Bad. I know.
We've immersed ourselves into RDI and because we think about it and talk about it and have meetings about it, I have a hard time rehashing it. My Mom will call and ask about it. I'll tell Sean what I did with our consultant, he'll tell me what he did. I'll read and re-read things that I am unsure of. I'll tell Sean my fears and concerns about my competency. He'll reassure. Pump me up and I'll feel good and confident again.
But to sit and transfer it onto the blog - I don't know where to start.
And I want to start because this is want I want a record of. The stuff that we're doing now.
We worked on "regulation" last week. We each had a one on one meeting with Paulette (I'll give her a name and not just call her "our consultant") to ensure we were in a good place to start and had a grasp on things. We then did what I thought to be the most fun - one on one with Cuy - with Paulette as our guide.
We did specific activities ensuring Cuyler had a role and I had a role.
We'd get into a pattern, then when he was comfortable in the pattern, I'd throw in a "just noticeable change" to see if he could/would continue with the pattern. Then after that I would maintain the pattern and then throw in "productive uncertainty" - a bit of a bigger challenge that he could handle while maintaining the pattern.
Example - I had him help me empty the dishwasher.
My role: handing him cutlery. His role: putting it away.
"Just Noticeable Change": hand it to him sideways or hand it to him and not let go.
"Productive Uncertainty": place the spoon on the counter instead of hand it to him or hand him a sock or not hand him anything.
That was one example of many things we did with him - all very easy activites to incorporate into our lives.
The pattern gives Cuy his static comfort, while the throw-ins give him the confidence to deal with change.
Once we felt good about that and had a few videotaped sessions, we sat and went over the treatment plan. So we really are feet-first right now. And we couldn't be MORE excited.
We really feel that this is going to make our life easier. His life better. I am excited about the time I will have to spend with him...GET to spend with him. About the things I will do with him that I wouldn't without RDI.
I go onto an ASD message board and when I read about the families who have therapy after therapy, ABA, IBI, OT, ST...I feel so lucky that I am his "therapist". That we will be the people that he spends his time with. Not hired or assigned. That he will grow and develop with us as his guides. In the last 6 months or so - our connection with Cuyler has changed. I can't quite articulate it - but I am so in love with this kid. And I'm feeling the love right back. Sometimes all he gives me is a look. But I feel it in how he looks at us now. He's present. He's here. He's connected to us.
I am very excited at what this will do for our family. Our family as a whole. I think it will give Cam an insight that other kids wouldn't get. I think our new baby will be joining us at just the right time. And I didn't think it was possible, but it will strengthen Sean and I even more.
Stay tuned!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home