Saturday, September 02, 2006

We thought we'd try something today. Hockey season begins soon and Sean is coaching Cam's team, so he's all crazy into hockey right now. Cam got new skates, gloves, shinpads and chest protector.
His old skates are just the right size for Cuy, so we thought we'd give it a go, since Cuyler wants to do EVERYTHING Cam does.
Skating was no exception. Once he saw Daddy and Cam with skates on, he decided he needed a pair on as well.

He was more than willing to let Sean put them on and lace them up. We had a bit of an issue with the helmet in that he refused to wear it. Once the boys were dressed (I'm not skating until after baby arrives), we watched the zamboni. Once the zamboni was off ice, it was time to go on. Except Cuy. I told him "Helmet on. Then skating." I pointed out each child with their helmet on and he excitedly said "Cuyler helmet on!"


He did so great and after awhile he was able to stand without his feet sliding all over the ice. We neglected to bring mitts for him so his hands got cold.
Poor Sean, though...
If you've never taught a young child how to skate, you can't imagine the pain in your back having to hover forward to support the kid. And most kids are younger and probably more co-ordinated than Cuyler. And not yet 40lbs.
Cam was just 2 and and probably just hitting 30lbs when he started.
Anyways - we cut skating short because Sean just couldn't do it after awhile so we had to force him off with Skittles and I did end up taking him to the van and I did fold and put on the Wiggles dvd. It was the first time in over 2 weeks. I feel badly that I put it on, but I felt worse making him come off the ice.

It was just nice to, once again, do something "normal" with both our boys.

2 Comments:

Blogger K.C.'sMommy said...

Hi there!

Way to go Cuyler! He looks so cute with his ice skates! Cuyler looks like a very tall kiddo:)

Congratulations, a new baby on the way:)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I remember trying to teach my oldest daughter how to ice skate when she was three. I held her exactly the way Sean is holding Cuyler and it IS hard on a back! Glad to see Cuyler having so much fun and I *love* hearing about his increasing vocabulary. Keep it up Cuyler!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home