Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Guess what we're going to start working on?
I really have no idea what I'm doing with Cuyler and toilet training. Cam trained himself at 26 months. Really. He really did. So there was not alot of work involved. The hardest part about it was remembering to make him pee before we went anywhere.
Cuyler...well...he'll be 4 in November and I want him to have it mastered by this time next year. He'll be getting ready for kindergarten, so he'll need to be trained (mostly). And I'm not sure how effective I'll be with a newborn/infant in the house as well...
We've moved all the diaper gear into the boys bathroom and all (okay...most) diaper changes are done in there. At every diaper change he sits on the toilet. He has yet to pee on it.
I *think* he's ready. Or at least at the beginning stages of ready.
1. He understands what we do when we use the toilet.
2. He'll go hide to poo. Then come to me, lie down and say "change diaper".
3. If he is naked and starts to pee, he'll stop it mid-stream if I try to get him to the toilet. He won't finish in the toilet, though.
Is he fully cognitively aware? I don't know.
I bought him some Thomas the Tank underwear and some Bob the Builder underwear. I was also thinking about getting some pull-ups.
I have always been totally opposed to pull-ups. They're expensive and to a young child they are no different than a diaper when they wet in them. But I saw an ad for these.
For an ASD kid, these could be really good.
Or really, really bad.
I may try them for a day, but my feeling is that he'd pee in it once and never let us put one on him ever again.
If there are any tricks out there that have worked for you or your child, please share them with me. I really have no iea what the hell I'm doing here with this whole "potty training a child with autism".

5 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Just be patient and persistant.. like you have with teaching everything else! my DN is not nearly as high functioning as Cuy, but he PT around 3 1/2. still has some accidents and still needs reminding tho. I use these at night instead of pull ups. Ryan LOVES them! he knew the pull ups were diapers. but the cloth at night has really helped his daytime consistancy! it may be a good transition for him during the day too! and the washing REALLY is not a big deal! they are cut HUGE tho!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, I know what you are going through! About 2 or 3 weeks ago, we were there! Good luck, I know you will probably have it tougher than I did! I honestly thought Shay wouldn't get to go to preschool this year, and he soooo needs the socialization.

Sending potty vibes your way!!!!

1:11 PM  
Blogger ♛Qu€€n♛J€§§¡¢a♛™ said...

I just wanted to wish you PT Good Luck. Grace is not autistic but we've been having issues with training her, and are smack in the middle of week #3.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI. It is Carrie(mommyto2boys) from Nov. Babycenter. One of the boys I watch is 5 years old and is high functioning autistic. He had to be bribed alot to even sit on the potty(he got 1.00 store prizes for going potty), he got an m&m for just sitting there. I had a treasure chest of the 1.00 store prizes next to the potty-so he knew that is what he got if he peed. I found out that he loved the sticker chart too. Just alot of patience and know that alot of accidents will happen. I am against pull-ups too, but for the 5 year old who is autistic they worked great for him-now for Michael they didn't work.
This boy is now 5 1/2 and fully-potty trained. Me and his parents started when he was 4 1/2 and he was fully potty trained(even at night) at just 5 years old.

Good luck! That potty insert you have is the best for the kids too! Michael still loves his.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried the disposable diaper that has a sound chip? At the first drop of moisture it yells,"oops! Get to the bathroom! Hurry up!"

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home