SUMMER FUN!
It's so great that Cuyler finally enjoys the water. Two summers ago we couldn't get him into the changeroom at the local pool. The echo threw him into a fit.
Last summer we could barely get him into the pool. His preferred place was on the steps. I've been taking the boys to the family swim on Wednesday afternoons and they love it. Cuy asks for a lifejacket. He lets me pull him around the water in it and he's also able to walk independently around the play pool.
He also didn't like the splash pad. Too many unpredictable water sources. A nightmare for a kid with sensory issues and the need for control and sameness. But he's enjoying it this year!


We've been swimming at our friends, Tara & Darby's place. It took Cuyler a good while before he'd come near the pool, other than tossing anything he could find into the water. We finally just grabbed him and brought him in. He resisted a bit, but has really enjoyed it since. All he needs is baby Kevin's floaty and he's loving it. And him being in the floaty makes it alot easier than holding onto him the entire time.
(Uhh, yes. That's my pregnant whale body treading deep water)
It's been a really good summer so far. Aside from the the fact that I'm getting reports from Cuylers teachers of aggressive behaviour. Today he flipped a chair and table over - they were shocked. I wasn't. He does it here all the time. He's also been hitting, pushing and pulling hair. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that he and Cam are spending so much time together now that Cam is with him every afternoon. Often that time is spent horsing around, play fighting. All it takes is one hard kick or an extra rough push to turn the play into a brawl.
We're working on it. I do not want him to think that his behaviour is acceptable. It's not. Autism or not - it's not ok.
And the toilet training is unsuccessful thus far. Although I could be a bit more diligent about it, I'm not sure he's 100% ready...


2 Comments:
We're taking C to a pool this Sunday for the first time in 2 years. Should be interesting. Glad to see Cuyler enjoys it so much now.
oh my god...he's adorable. i LOVE that belly :)
Post a Comment
<< Home