Sunday, February 19, 2006

I'm a bit worried about Cuyler.
Cam tackled him this morning and Cuy's been limping all day. When it happened, Sean and I were upstairs drinking coffee and reading the Sunday paper. They went downstairs and we heard "that cry". You know the one. The one that makes you jump off the couch as opposed to just shouting out "What's going on down there?"
The one where you have to remind him to breath in between wails.
That was around 10am. He was limping on his way to bed tonight.
I hate the fact that he CANNOT tell me where it hurts. I don't even know if he feels the hurt. He certainly doesn't seem to be in pain. He's not acting hurt. The limp is the only obvious signal that he's injured. We can't even tell where the hurt is. I looks to be his hip most of the time. Like the can't put all his weight on it. No swelling anywhere. No bruises.
I just want him to wake up and be ok. I do not know how the hell we'd take him to see the dr...

Besides the leg injury - he made me so proud today. I hosted a baby shower for our friend Shawna this afternoon. Seans parents were going to take the boys then my mom was going to grab them afterwards.
Cuy completely freaked out when Seans dad was going to take him. It was kinda funny. He was crying and shouting "NO! Bye Wampa!"
Then he shouted "BYE TERRY!" (Grampa is Terry).
Because of his sore leg and his meltdown, I just kept him with me.

Once all the girls arrived for the shower, I brought him up from the basement and he said hi to each of them by name (with my help). His comprehension and eye contact were amazing - he looked directly at each one whenever he said anything to them. He even hugged our friend Mary for no reason. Everytime I asked him to do something - he did it.
"Go to the table with your juice."
"Bring your cup to Mommy."
"Give the box to Shawna."
He was entertaining to say the least. He spotted the gifts and said "Open presents."
I said "Those are Shawna's presents." He brought each gift over to Shawna and she let him unwrap them for her as she read the card.
When he saw the cake he started singing "Happy Birthday"
When he wanted to open the boxes of toys that Shawna got - I said "No...those are for Shawna's baby." And he'd be totally fine with that. It was great.
And as the ladies all left at the same time he said good bye to each one and then said loudly "Merry Christmas!"

Now...I'm not sure what everybody else thought. Some of the girls hadn't seen him in a long time. Nobody said anything about him doing great or talking alot...
But that didn't matter to me. He just filled me with joy.
The simple fact that he wanted to be around people. That he was communicating. That he was UNDERSTANDING things. I half wondered if they thought he was really delayed and behind. That he was doing worse than they thought. But they don't know how meaningful every single interaction he made today was. And that's ok. I did.
It was a great day. He really did shine and even if nobody else realized how very important the things he did today were, it doesn't matter. I know what they mean.

I wanted to post about the RDI and what our thoughts are on it now that we have started to watch the 5hr dvd. But I'm not going to this time.
We are looking forward to getting the program started. We are liking what we see so far.
Sean and I chatted in bed after we watched the first part and I think we're both excited at what this could do for Cuy.

And Sean is healing. He doesn't look hideous anymore and is beginning to eat solid foods. His teeth will be wired for 3 weeks and they will determine whether or not he gets to keep them...I personally don't think the bottom ones will make it. I pray to God that the top ones do. One of my favourite things about Sean is his gap. If he didn't have the gap, he wouldn't be Sean. So the top ones better bloody well make it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

I bet your guests at the shower were thinking - "I should've worn something else." or "I hope no one notices that I've gained weight." or "I wish I had a baby."
I have to remind myself sometimes that people are pretty self center, but not in a bad way. Just that when we think people are thinking about us, they are really thinking about themselves.
I have to remind myself that when Gabe is around people we have'nt seen in awhile. If he isn't haven't a tantrum that is attracting attention, I have to believe that he is "just fitting in" and smile. I bet Cuy was doing just that- being a cute, adorable little boy in the eyes of your guests, nothing more.

Kristin

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

I bet your guests forgot that Cuy was different than any other child...

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I am so happy that Cuy did great! I am sorry about his injury though, I hope he feels better really soon!

Carrie(nov. 02 boards)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home