Holy Crap.
And I do mean crap. I really should have taken pictures just to document it. Before and after.
Each night we read his 3 books and say our "night nights". As soon as we walk out, he turns on his big light. I always go in a turn it off before I head to bed.
I walked in last night and couldn't believe my eyes.
SHIT EVERYWHERE
Carpet. Wall. Books. Toys. Door. Sheets. Comforter.
In between his toes. Up his back.
And there he lay. Sound asleep.
Major PROPS to my man - once again. I retrieved him from the neighbours, where he was having a couple of drinks. I said I needed him for a second. I brought him upstairs. If he thought he was "gettin any" he surely was mistaken.
I open Cuys door and show him. We both stood there for a second, not quite sure even what to do.
He took the kid
I took the room
He made the executive decision to bathe him. There really wasn't an option, actually. He was covered in caked-on poo. And it was 11pm.
As he scraped the crap off of Cuyler, I scraped the crap off of pretty much everything in the bedroom. I tossed a couple of books, his pj's and a gorgeous teddy bear that just couldn't be saved into the garbage.
Sean took him into our bed while I continued scrubbing the floor and began doing laundry.
And as all this was going on, all I could think of was how grateful I was that all of that toxic stuff was out of his body. Just seeing the amount of poop that was everywhere - I was just happy that he got rid of it.
He's on an incline. He's gaining and he seems much more present these days.
We are treating him for yeast now and we are hoping that it's all working it's way out of him and clarifying him. I haven't felt like he's been with us as much as I have felt it this past week. We started the treatment on Monday. Coincidence? Maybe. But maybe not.
His comprehension seems to be increasing. Just little things...the really little things. Like grocery shopping today, Sean went to another section to grab something we missed. When he returned I said (looking right at Cuy, with no visual prompting) "Who's back?" (Sean was coming up behind Cuy)
Cuy turned around, looked right at Sean with a smile and said "Daaaaddy!"
Those are the little things that he would miss. Before.
And at bath tonight, he took his pants and socks off - without prompting or assistance. He heard the tub water running. Ran upstairs and started to undress. He asked for help with getting his "Shirt off". And "Diaper off. Help."
This was not that long ago. Imagine...he just did NOT know he had to undress to have a bath. And in just a few short months, he able to (mostly) undress himself without even having to be told.
That - my friends - is what we call babysteps.
And that is what it's all about. Babysteps. They come slow. And some are few and far between, but by God - they come!


4 Comments:
Yay Cuyler on the progression!
Sorry about the poop though, been there, done that.
Sorry to hear about the poop. Shit happens, as they say. But it's not easy remembering that when cleaning up a room full of poop.
This past summer we were trying our sweet daughter on probiotics . . . digestive enzymes that supposedly help with gluten allergies. Man-oh-man was she sick to her stomach from these. . .
She was pooping from room to room . . .
Needless to say, we stopped that experiment in nutritional therapy.
Three cheers for Cuy's increased comprehension!
So awesome - on the baby steps, not the shit!
Way to go Cuyler on the baby steps---That is awseome! :-)
Sorry, about the shit though.
Carrie-Nov. 2002 babies
Post a Comment
<< Home