Let's do HAPPIES and CRAPPIES. I'll go first.
I'll start with crappies so I can end on a positive note.
I think both boys are sick. Cuy barfed this afternoon. Cam isn't feeling great and had some "barfy-farts" at school. This works out well. I will keep them home with me tomorow and I won't go to work.
I hate my job. Boy - I do not want this job.
Where do I begin?
I had a 7 day work week last week that I was unaware I had to do until just prior, so Sean had to take the week off work to stay with the boys. 9-5 shifts and I was feeling unwell and by Sunday was feeling burnt out.
Yesterday, I was supposed to have files for the kids. I had none and had to make them up as the children arrived. It was utter chaos. I was frustrated and embarassed at the lack of organization.
Long story short, myself and 1 other worker had 19 children between the ages of 7 weeks to 6 years old. The room is NOT big enough for that many kids.
Today we had 24.
The volunteer we had coming in 2 days a week, told our manager to take her off a day b/c she will not do 2 mornings a week.
The woman I work with told me she will look for other work if this doesn't improve by weeks ends.
Last wee, my manager offered me the Team Lead position. After 4 days of me asking what my wage would be, I was told that the position does not exist. But it would be great if I could take a leadership role in the room. Mmm hmm. Basically they're getting me for a deal...paying me peanuts. I always thought "over qualified" was a stupid term. I am so fucking overqualified for this job. The whole thing just goes against everything "ECE" about me.
The main problem I have with the company is that they will not cap the room to a max number of kids. AND they have opened it up to people who want to grocery shop at the store attached to the club. So we're getting club members and any joe blow off the street.It is not a licensed childcare - it's childminding and the parents leave the kids at their discretion. And they all freakin leave them!
It is not safe and they seem to undermine our concerns. I am supposed to be done at noon and am not getting out until 12:30, which screws up my picking up Cuyler and is putting me over his 4hrs max at school.
I have asked Cuylers daycare to try and find a short, midday shift for me.
HAPPIES:
Not only have I found an amazing online support through boards and bloggers, I have found an amazing web of connections in real life.
Our behaviour consultant gave me the number of a woman who lives nearby who is doing many of the same things we are with our ASD boys. Her son is 7, so a few years ahead of Cuyler.
Anyhoo, she has done RDI with her son and is on her 2nd RDA. She told me last night on the phone (our first time speaking) that she will be going to the Connections Centre in Texas in May to become a consultant and asked if we would consider being her supervisory family. UHHHH...YA!
We were on a waitlist for the nearest consultant (90minutes away) and probably wouldnt get picked up until October. If this works out, we'll be starting June/July.
The best part: she lives around the bend, about 30 houses away from us!!
Small world.
Sean is awesome and is totally sympathetic to the job situation and helps me brainstorm and hugs me at the exact time I need him to. I think I've fallen in love with him all over again in the past 2 weeks.


2 Comments:
sending you hugs. i'd come over and give you real ones but i don't want to catch the "barfy-farts" :)
i'm so sorry you hate the job. it sounds awful. how can that even be legal? all those kids? and some of them dropping off kids to shop. that doesn't seem right.
I think the job will come around. If not, then it wasn't worth it in the first place, but I bet it will. Big hugs to you and to Sean (so he has extra to give you).
I'm so excited to hear about your RDI!!! That's wonderful that you'll have a consultant SO close!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home