Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's coming.
It really is...

I started reading the RDI book which will get us started on the road to Relationship Development Intervention for Cuyler. Reading it made me quite aware of the great skills Cuyler has acquired in the last 6months - 1 year.

One of Cuylers favourite things to do is to pull us up from the couch "Sand up mommy!" I stand up and he pulls me by the hand to the middle of the family room and shouts with a big smile "Dancin!"
And there we dance without music. When I stop, he grabs my hand and says it again "Dancin!" So we begin to dance and I'll sing "Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your booootay!"
The entire time he's looking right at me laughing.

He also loves to reach his hand up my shirt and rub my tummy. This is so extremely ticklish for me that I bowl over laughing. He now does this regularly throughout the day - anticipating my reaction.

Feels like experience sharing to me...


We find that when Cam is not around - he's a bit of a different kid. No competition. Cam is one of these kid who wakes up talking and falls asleep talking and talks the entire time in between, either asking question, telling stories or singing songs.
So when Cam's not around, Cuyler gets an opportunity to shine.
I gave him a salt bath last night while Cam was at hockey and realized that the Caillou bath set was the best 2 bucks I ever spent. He did some really amazing pretend play with them. I tried to do alot of declarative speech as opposed to imparative (RDI talk). I would say "Leo loves to swim!" Cuy would look around the tub, find Leo and say "Yee-oh swimmin" Or "Rosie splashes in the pool!" He'd find Rosie and make her jump in from the side of the tub "Spaaash!"
He even did this and said "Hode hands Yee-oh!"



He was doing some scripting here. "Oh Hi Yee-oh! Oh Hi Wosie! My turn. One, two, three - SPASH! Oh no! Your turn. One, two, three. Oh noooo! Ok. One more time."



But beyond all the amazing things he does and the joy he brings us...he's just so freakin cute!


So as stressed out as I am and as hard as I am working to make some changes for families affected by autism - I'm feeling good.
Optimistic - which is a rarity for me. Sean is the optimist and I am the pessimist.
But perhaps that's why I have IBS...


AND an arrhythmia. Yes. Cardiac arrhythimia. I was told that the next episode I have I am to go to emerg and be put on the machine. I had a lengthy episode that lasted a few hours last Thursday night and I should have gone...but I hate emerg. They always make me feel like I'm wasting their time. So my doc said "Fine...don't go for you. Go or me. I need to see the rhythms."
Ok. I'll go.
I was told to stay off coffee and I said no. I cut back to one a day. I gave up smoking for my kids. I gave up alcohol cuz it keeps me on the toilet. I am not giving up my Tims. No freakin way. He said 1 a day would be ok. But no more than that.
So I am getting my lists and info together with all of Cuy's stuff. Cuz if I keel over - God help my kids...Sean would have no clue!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Octobermom said...

Oh please, please please don't ignore that arrhythmia! Everyone in my family has serious heart issues and its some scary shit.

And Cuy really is frikkin cute! Like, grind your teeth cute!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

Delurking here - I have a friend who's son what diagnosed with Autism around the same time as yours and in comparing the two, Cuy is doing really really well! Great progress!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Christine...he really is such an amazing little guy :)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,
Sorry I missed coffee tonight but I feel like I've caught up a little bit by reading your blog. You're doing a great job with Cuy and he's doing really well. Try not to be so hard on yourself, okay? I know it's your nature but you won't be much good to Cuy if you make yourself sick from the stress.
I'll talk to you soon,
luv Kelly xoxo

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie Cuyler is! HE is doing so well! That is the coolest bath set! I love reading yoru blog and seeing your boys smile(they are the cutiest). :-)
Please don't ignore the heart condiotion go to the ER!

Carrie(Nov. 2002 babycenter board)
Michael 11/07/02
Logan 1/26/05

11:25 PM  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

Great pics of Cuy! He's just SOOOOOO cute! I think now that you've got the RDI ready to roll and you're already seeing some really great things from Cuy, that perhaps some of the stress on your shoulders will be lifted up. Hopefully that should help ease the other effects of the stress.

I well remember the "fun" of IBS when I was going through my divorce. It'll get better, though I'd lay off the smokes for a while...and for crying out loud, GO TO THE ER. We value your knowledge and your friendship too much to have you strapped permanently to a machine. Go and have it taken care of as soon as you can.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so right! Cuy is such a cutie!!!

charlotte

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home