I don't think I've seen Sean so involved in anything as much as he is getting involved in the RDI.
Before we get into the nitty gritty of it - seeing a consultant, getting an assesment, start videotaping our "lab time" - we have to watch a dvd outlining what RDI is.
More importantly spelling out what autism is, more specifically the core deficits of autism. This is a 5 hr dvd and I think we're about 2.5hrs into it.
We usually lie in bed after we watch it and talk about what we've just seen. It's hard to articulate. For me I really feel like I know Cuyler better. Because I am more aware of why he is the way he is. Why he does the things he does and acts the way he acts.
I've known all along what he does to regulate, to stim and all those things, but I never really knew why. I've known the symptoms of his autism - speech delays, social issues, sensory issues etc...but I never knew where it all stemmed from. This guys spells it out. This is what all parents of children with autism should be told.
This will enable us to take small steps and focus on the core deficits of his autism now that we are more aware of the physiology/neurology behind it.
The motto is "This is a marathon, not a sprint"
SO anyways - Sean is just grabbing onto this and actually tried some subtle activies with Cuy while bathing him tonight.
He actually even told me that he wants to be an RDI consultant. He believes that strongly in this program. Unfortunately he doesn't have the BA required for the certification program. I honestly have never seen him this "on-board". Usually I research and say "I think we should do Floortime with him" or "I want to take him off gluten and casein" and Sean very willingly agrees.
It was the same this time, although I don't think he was 100% until we started watching the dvd. Now he's 200%. He sits intently focussed on what the guy is saying. He is just so amazingly on board with EVERYTHING. It helps when we have the same goals for our children. And that's another reason we want to do RDI - it's a family based/lifestyle program. Cam will never feel left out.
Now we just have to come up with the money.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home