
Somebody sure loves The Wiggles. This is how he sleeps - with his 2 favourite things - a soother and anything Wiggles.
I can't even imagine him not having his soother. He will be 3 years old in 6 days and we are NOWHERE near getting rid of it. His occupational therapist has told us not to even consider taking it away from him, as we would have to replace it with something else. The soother is meeting a need from a sensory input standpoint, therefore having the soother is not a habit for him, it's a necessity.
But, man, I hate when we're walking around the mall and he's got it in. I used to judge people and think it was awful of them for allowing their 3 or 4 yr old to walk around with a chooch hanging out of their gob. Now I'm one of "them". I never judge parents anymore. I was really good at that before I had kids...Now I know better.
I often feel like I'm stuck in a rut. Almost like I have preconcieved ideas about him and where we are and where we're headed. So I tend to focus on the negative aspects of his autism. Those aspects are the most powerful as far as what they elicit from me. Anger, frustration, sadness, fear. While the postive aspects bring me a sense of peace and contentment. Unfortunately the negative tends to leave a longer lasting impression on my psyche.
I know that Cuyler is getting better. I know he is. But most of the time I can't see it. I often wish I could see him as our friends and family do. They see the leaps and bounds. The things he is doing now that he wasn't a month ago. They social gains he makes, the functional langauge he's acquired.
I am with him every day. Somedays I am with him for 10-12 hours straight. Time tends to just run and blend together so I don't see those jumps he makes.
I think he did another one last week. I think. Today my friend Tara mentioned that if you didn't know he had a diagnosis, you wouldn't think there was anything different about him (compared to the other kids). She hadn't seen him in well over a month.
Lately (the past 2 or 3 days), he seems to be more of a talker than a non-talker. It's not all functional (alot of it's not), but he is communicating with words. And he still does his jumpy dancing and jibberjabbering jargon. But he'll tell us what he wants...what he doesn't want (he's reall good at that). Greeting people. Singing songs. He can tell you he'll be "fee" on his "booday"
I don't think there's anything he can't say. It's the formulation and the process of speaking that challenges him. The neuro part of talking, not the oral motor part, although his articulation is rough at times. I think more visuals will help with that I just need to figure out which ones will help the most.
I'm going to Kerry's Place tomorrow with my friend Robin.
It's a big step for me in the journey. I grew up in the city where it's located. Have driven past it for years and years. And I never wanted to go there. Be a part of it. I didn't think I needed to. Almost like I was thinking "yeah...he's autistic...but not that autistic...we don't need anymore help. I don't need to go there."
But I am. And I'm excited. I think that it will only hep us. Another resource to pull from.
Another milestone I'm not sure how I feel about: I may have bought my last pack of diapers today. Once he turns 3, Easter Seals will pay for diapers and wipes. I'm glad and appreciative of that as it will be one less expense, but it also makes me sad that we are nowhere near being toilet trained at 3. Another reminder of one of his major delays.
I also think that we'll join the ASO and become members. Our region has their own chapter. This way I can go to their workshops free of charge. They do alot of workshops, they have support groups, family functions...and these awesome keychains that I'm getting a few of. I think they're so nice.
All in all...a good last few days. Lots of talking, lot's of words, lot's of smiles, hugs...what more can a Mum ask for?
I had to throw this one in because I think it's cute...but again, with the "soo" (as Cuy calls it).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home