Friday, November 04, 2005

I want to be an "askable parent." Come into "teachable moments."
And lately I am coming across "bloggable moments."

Like tonight. I love this one.

Supernanny was on tonight. The family involved had 4year old twin girls and a 3yr old boy with autism. Cuyler was in bed and we let Cam stay up a bit.
Sean was in the kitchen prepping a late dinner. Cam was watching the program with me and a few minutes into it he looked at me and said "Hey! They have a little brother with autism - just like me!"
Sean and I look at each other, eyebrows raised. Kinda stunned.
"Yes they do. Do you know what autism is?" I reply.
"Ya..." and he looks at me like he really doesn't.
So I say "Well...Cuyler has autism and that means...he can't speak like you or I can. He's just learning. And he sometimes has behaviour problems like when he scratches us or pulls my hair. And some things really bother him like putting on his jacket."

"I know all THAT! Tell me things about it I don't know yet."

"Okay. Cuyler learns differently and plays differently. That's why there are alot of people working with him like Angela (OT), Debbie, Madhu (ST), Irene (PT) - to help him talk, to help him dress himself. Things like that. And Cuy doesn't play WITH people the same way you do. He doesn't know how to make friends like you. He likes playing by himself alot."
I gave him the example of how he plays hockey with the neighbours. Cuyler likes to run around and watch them, instead of playing hockey with them.
He says "Ohhh...I didn't know that...and he's on the special diet for his autism too, right?"
"Yep. He sure is." I say.
"Ya, his gluten and casein free diet is really helping him."

Christ he's smart!

These are examples of why I truly believe that Cam is an old soul with an instinct about him that not many kids his age have.

Maybe it's just me - but I'm not sure that many 4yr olds would "get it".
We have always been very open about everything. That's the way we are. Ask a question, get an answer. We never hide things. Cam has seem me cry many times about Cuyler (I always ensure he knows everything is FINE). But I guess I have never heard Cam refer to Cuy as anything other than his brother or his buddy. I don't actually think I've ever even heard Cam say autism. It made me look at him with so much pride. He knows Cuyler's different. But it doesn't change anything. He's not going to let a little thing like autism get in the way of him being a big brother and all that goes along with that. Teaching him things. Tormenting him. Chasing him, being chased. Dancing together, fighting each other, singing together, not wanting anything to do with him, begging him to play...the good and the not so good. That's the great thing about being 4. No filter. No preconcieved ideas. Just pure brotherhood.

I think I felt like we crossed some type of threshold. That we really are, all four of us, in this together.
We're a foursome. A team.
Along with all of our supportive friends and family backing us up.

Maybe I'm overdramatizing this, but it was a big deal for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger gretchen said...

I love this "bloggable moment"! And I do get why it was a big deal. Completely. Cam sounds a lot more grown up than 4!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home