Tuesday, October 04, 2005



There you have it - he's on a bike!!

And here's another fun thing about Cuy. He wore this hat for about 6 hours today. 4 1/2 of which he was indoors. He refused to take it off at school the entire morning. He finally took it off at 2:30 when he ripped it off his head and turfed it at me because he didn't want to go in. But it was too hot. Yes - TOO HOT on October 4 (I think it reached close to 30C)...extremely muggy and we had to put the a/c on again.

I was on a support board that I've been on for awhile now...long before the official dx I would lurk on the board because I knew I'd be a member one day - unfortunately. But one mom was asking how we deal with "it". "IT" being the fact that our child/ren have autism. She was totally honest in her description of how she felt. Wondering why she was given these kid (she has 2 boys on spectrum), sometimes wants to give them away b/c she's so afraid of the future, trying not to be jealous of pregnant women, resentful of people with NT children among other things. All the things I felt. She finished by wanting to know how to get that feeling of "peace". As I read her post, I would remember back to when I did feel that way on an ongoing basis, when I felt all of those things and more...
Then I realized that I've been pretty at peace with things for awhile now. Ya...it sucks and it's not easy and ya...it's scary. But I try not to think about how horrible the future might be. Because I don't think it will be. It might be...but I doubt it. I enjoy him day by day. For his little funnies - like the hat today. Or the bike ride he requested - using words. Not much for most people - but enough to make me happy.
Now...if only I could stop wanting another baby so bad...
We were at Tara and Darby's this evening and he took Darby by the hand, pulled him inside and asked for a Wiggles video. THAT WAS HUGE! Sean and I looked at each other with the "WOW" expression. Those are the unexpected moments that we live each day for.

And of course we're watching the relationship develop between 2 brothers as Cuy comes further into our world.





And we welcome him with open arms.

2 Comments:

Blogger Octobermom said...

I read that post too and it made me so sad because I'm still not at peace with this. In fact, ever since we saw India's new school on Monday morning, I've been sobbing on and off. I know she'll get great therapy there and she'll do well but walking through the halls of a school where ALL of the kids are autistic, and looking rather um... not well, I still can't beleive that this is what we've been given to deal with. I'm just so sad.

8:03 AM  
Blogger mommyguilt said...

But ladies - this is what I use to get me through those times: There is a reason that we were chosen to be the mothers of our children. Regardless of your religious beliefs you have to think that there was some master plan to pair us up with our children because someone knew that we would be the right ones to love these children and care for them and have the strength (yes, it comes & goes) to fight for them and to deal with the hard times and the people who don't "get it". I mean, I can't even imagine if my SmallBoy was the son of parents who didn't understand and just thought he was weird or a freak or that he was abnormal and didn't really give a hoot as to why.

Yeah, it's hard. As Octoberbabies says, "Autism SUCKS!" But we're the mamas and it's the best thing for our children that we are.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home