Ahhh...pictures! It's been awhile. Today there are plenty to share and there is plenty to celebrate!!
Let me begin by saying that I don't think anyone has held Cuyler (other than Sean or I) in well over a year. He just doesn't dig other people touching him. When Kelly was here, he asked her to pick him up...he wanted to swing around. That was a big deal for us.
Today - he walked up to Mum, raised his arms and said "Up". Obviously Mum obliged. She thought he wanted to go upside down (Cam was doing somersaults at the same time). She flipped him and put him down...he wasn't impressed. He raised his arms again and said "up" again. She obliged again. It was funny - she looked at me like "...ok..." She picked him up and he starts lovin her up, snuggling and cuddling. Luckily the camera was right there and I got the whole thing on camera!
The other thing he did today - was paint (obviously). He's so not into colouring or crafts at all, but Cam was paintng with his friends who were over and Cuy decided he wanted to join (YAY!). Well - doesn't he hold the paint brush with a proper pincer grasp!!(something he hasn't been able to do until today!). That was even a question that the psychologist asked regarding his fine motor, "Can he hold a crayon with a pincer grip?" "No" we replied....uhhhhhhh, make that YES!!!! This is, again, us celebrating the small things.
We had Brodie and Caleb over this morning. It was so apparent to me that Cam is a special needs sibling. Caleb is 9 days younger than Cam. Brodie is 2weeks, 2days younger than Cuyler.
Cam acts and reacts very differently to Brodie than he does to Cuyler. He understands that Cuyler is different from Brodie and that we have to deal with Cuy differently. Caleb acts and reacts to Cuy, the same way he does to Brodie and it ain't always pretty. For instance, Cuyler wanted to paint and grabbed Calebs paintbrush. Caleb grabbed it back and said "No Cuyler! It's mine!" Well, Cuyler doesn't let go and Caleb doesn't let go (I don't blame him!) and Cuyler starts swatting at Caleb and screaming and threw all the paint on the floor and swiped the paper of the table.
The same thing happened yesterday when Cam was painting only Cam let it go and said "Mommy, Cuyler has my paintbrush, can you get him one for himself?" Cam just instinctively seems to know how to interact and deal with Cuyler. He seems to know how to avoid tantrums and he has patience with him that typical kids don't have with him because they just see him and treat him like all the others (which is good). I can't even explain it, and I don't think I'm explaining it very well but it was very apparent to me today the instincts Cam has with Cuyler...it made me all warm and fuzzy.
We started today the same way we ended it. With tantrums. Not sure why..but after he woke up from a solid 12 hour sleep - he was full of piss and vinegar. Just screamed and was angry. Not even his soother would soothe him. After he calmed, he had a pretty decent day. He even went up and put himself down for a nap. Seriously - he did. Came upstairs. Got onto his bed and fell asleep. It actually worried me briefly...then after dinner (which he ate none of) we had a blast outside. When it was time to come in a get jammies on - whoa - he was mad again. Not sure what caused the moodiness today, but I hope tomorrow is a better day. We have the RC and Debbie (the developmental counsellor) coming.
The transdermal B12 came in and I'm afraid to go pick it up. I think it's going to cost a LOT of money that we don't have right now. She special ordered it from a pharmacy downtown. She called to tell me it was in and when I asked her the cost, she said she didn't know as she didn't have the invoice in front of her...ya right. So I think we'll use it and then go to the injections. I hate to do it, but I feel the same way about the B12 as I do about the diet. I've read so many amazing things about the B12 injection that we need to at least try it. She wants to avoid the injection b/c she thinks it'll traumatize him. But I think the bill for the transdermal will traumatize me...and Sean...






2 Comments:
GO CUYLER! what great milestones! I totally understand where Cam is comming from. My sis still gets on my nerves, but I usually just ignore it b/c I don't want to hear it...but, still gripes me that I'm not supposed to get PO'd at her b/c she is autistic. I'm not perfect either and noone excuses my behavior... I'm not trying to rant, but give some insight on Cam's perspective. hth.
Hi Christine,
Things sound like they are going great for you guys, glad to hear it.
Dawn
Post a Comment
<< Home