Sunday, August 28, 2005

I should be getting back on track with this blogging thing. Had a busy few weeks lately and things are settling down now - thank God.
I didn't read back to my last post so I don't know if I'll repeat anything so here goes...

Cuy had his PAS evaluation last Thursday and that was interesting. We didn't get ANY feedback that day - not for another month or so. But we get there and we meet a psychologist and an assistant (I assume she was an assistant). They take us into a room with toys...it's pretty inviting to Cuy as he walked in willingly and only protested for a few seconds after the door was closed. So the psychologist asked Sean and I what felt like 200 questions. He was this eccentric type dr who swiftly asked question after question, only wanting a "yes", "no" or "sometimes" answer. It became really apparent to us where is diffculties lay and where his strengths are by us answering "no" "no" "no" "no" "no" - we could see those problem areas ie: self-help, communication(which we thought he was really coming along with - and he is - but we see how much he is still missing). Gross motor - of course were all yes's (except for pedalling a bike and hopping on 1 foot...that's pretty hard to do...)
As he's asking us questions - she's on the floor observing and playing with Cuyler and he, of course, is charming her with his good looks, newly acquired eye contact and single word requests (bubbles?). She told us afterwards that he is really bright and very aware of his environment. And that's a great sign. Ya...good or bad - dependng on how you look at it.
Kids who score moderate/severe ASD qualify for PAS (20-30hrs weekly intensive therapy).
Kids who score mild ASD do not qualify and get taken off the list. So while we want him to do great and move forward, we also want to qualify for these services. Too bad he didn't put on a show like he did for the dr who gave him the "severe ASD" diagnosis. Boy-oh-boy what a shit-fit he threw for the entire appt that day!!
But he really did do a good job. I honestly have no feeling either way - so whatever they tell us when we meet with them next month will surprise me. I know I'll be anxious. But I shouldn't be - no matter what they tell us that day will be good news. Either he qualifies for the services, or he's kicking autism in the ass and growing further away from the diagnosis given to him 3 months ago. It's all good.

Sean and I took off around noon on Friday to Ottawa for his cousins wedding. What a beautiful weekend it was too! We got there around 4pm and hung out for a bit with Seans family who were also staying at the same Inn as us (we took over the joint - what a blast!). Seans parents and Sean and I then went to the cottage for the rehearsal. Then hung out for the evening.
Saturday we got up, got coffee and spent the day hanging around the Inn with everyone. It was so nice and relaxing!
The ceremony was at the family cottage and the weather could not have been more perfect for them. Sean played guitar as his dad sang at the wedding - they did an amazing job!!
We got up first thing this morning and headed home. We missed our boys and couldn't wait to get back to them. It's a 4hr ride, so we wanted to get back early and have the day with them.
Kelly flew home yesterday and I felt awful that we left and she was still here. We only see her once a year, but she stayed here with Mum and hung out with the boys. Cuyler was growing close to her and even asked her to pick him up. Only really special people get that honour!

Well...I have 1 week left until my babies start school. I'm not thinking about it and if I do, I only let myself think about the benefits that will come from them being where they'll be. Cam and I took a special shopping trip to pick out a school bag for him. He chose SpiderMan.
Of course. Because he's a big kid now.

Waaahh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home