I didn't realize I hadn't posted since Saturday...
I've been busy and have had Kelly visiting so it's been nice..no tv last night, no computer last night. Just a really great visit.
We had the supervisor and the RC here on Monday for a meeting. Basically Sean and I stated what our expectations were and that we expect Cuyler to be treated like any other kid there. Obviously his capabilities may be different, but we expect him to fully participate in all areas of the program once he starts. We want to them to expect from him, what they expect from all of the other children.
I finally feel as thought they understand us and are on the same page as us. I really believe that it helps to have Sean there. I think when they hear us both talking about what we want for him, they have no choice but to be on board. And it helps me - I don't feel that I have ALL the pressure to be the advocate, we're a team and we fight for him together.
So thank God that's taken care of...one more thing settled!
His last day of CIP is tomorrow. It should be Thursday, but he goes for his PAS evaluation (Preschool Autism Service). They will do yet another evaluation on him to see if he qualifies aka to see if he is severe enough. If he's too high functioning - they take him off the wait list (which is currently 18-24 months long). We want him to qualify because the PAS program offers the Applied Behaviour Analysis, OT and Speech services...so maybe we'll wake him up extra early and feed him lots of sugar on the way there!!!! (kidding...kind of)
His speech path is coming to observe him tomorrow at CIP, which I am SOOOO glad for! I want her to see him there and how he interacts and reacts in a social environment. And to see how he's using the Picture Exchange System (PECS). She didn't think we should use it, but I wanted her to see him in action with it before making the decision final (it's mine actually-not hers, but I want her input after seeing him use it).
So after this week we have an ENTIRE week off before he starts daycare...I can't even believe it! I have wanted this so badly for him and it's here and I just can't believe it! I don't know how I feel about it. Actually I do - Happy. Sad. Excited. Anxious.
I feel the same way about Cam starting JK. I am so excited for him and a bit sad that it's here already. I feel like I just had him and here he is going off to school. I am just grateful that I will be there at the gate as he walks in and turns and waves to me. And I will be grateful that I had the last 4.5 yrs to just hang with him and Cuy...the three of us.
Funny how I can feel them needing me less and less. Not funny, scary actually. They still need me, but Cuy will NEED the program more than he'll need to be with me. Cam needs to get back into a groove with school. He's so bright that school will give him that challenge that he needs.
Speaking of needing me - big red wants to cuddle.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home