Saturday, December 17, 2005

Cuy has been so happy today. And it's weird because I think he's backed up with poop.
His tummy's distended and he was blowing wicked farts all day. Plus he ate a banana. Puts a whole new spin on "This shit is bananas...b-a-n-a-n-a-s"
So we wait and will most likely wake tomorrow morning to a boy and bed full of poo.

My sister, Kelly and her hubby Scotty came in from Vancouver late last night. Cam was super excited to see them. I think Cuyler thought he was seeing his beloved teacher from school (also a Kelly). He bounced in saying "Kuh-yee!" Then slowed a bit when he saw them. After awhile he warmed up and showed them how great he's doing. Lot's of language, happy and enaged more than before.
One of the happy words (words that make him laugh uncontrollably) is "beautiful". He was gracious enough to tell Kelly she is beautiful. "Attee Kuh-yee bee-oh-foo." The more we repeated him - the harder he laughed. This usually goes on until he gets the hiccups or laughs so hard he does a little mouth-throw-up. Some of the other happy words are "noooobody!" (from a local commercial), "swwwiiiiiimmmmmin!" (from Rubbadubbers), "dr. chu" (our family dr' s name)...that's all I can think of now.

And another minor quirk he has is that while reading to him we always allow him to finish lines or say what comes next. If you don't repeat him - he damn well makes sure you will. He'll grab your chin and shout the word at you until you say it back.
So it's like forced echolalia on us. It's fine for Sean and I, but anyone who babysits needs to be told to expect it or there could be trouble!

I've been online lately surfing at all the things out there for us in respect to treatment and therapies for Cuyler. I have very peaceful feeling (today especially) that we will figure our mystery out. Whether it's the GFCF Diet, (we're doing that now) , SCD (don't want to - very tricky to follow), IBI (this will definately help - we're on the waitlist - we cannot afford private), homeopathy (we just started for his colon)...we've been lax on FloorTime of late but the preschool has booked out OT to come into the centre and train the staff. I hope to see big jumps once everyone on our team is following it with him.

And unfortunately we're back to crappy craps. He was great for about 2 weeks. Good firm poops, every day. Now we're back to smelly, rancid mush every 2 or 3 days.
Again - we were lax and had been giving him more sugar than we should (the naturopath wants him on NO sugar...soo hard!) So we're back to being diligent about that.
Hopefully we'll clear this issue up again.
He starts transdermal glutathione next week as well. So I'm anxious about that and hoping we see some results from it.

And Cam...my precious Cam.
I have a whole new appreciation of what a blessing he is.
I volunteered in his kindergarten class yesterday afternoon. It was just so amazing. I was expecting him to behave differently with me in the room. Maybe a bit sucky or clingy.
But he so impressed me. He rarely stayed by my side and went about his afternoon as he would have without me there. He'd come to me every now and then and give me a hug and head off again. Or he'd spy me from across the room and give me a smile with a wink or a thumbs up. He proved what I have always thought about him - he is just a really great kid. Nice, polite, helpful, smart. I can't express on here how proud I am to be his Mum.
I was also really just grateful to see how he spends his day. I drop him off in the morning at 9am, pick him up at 3:40 and all I know of what he does are the bits and pieces he decides to share with us.
His teacher is lovely and just really belongs in the kindergarten room with these guys. She's great. And he's got a nice group of kids he's with. Mellow and calm...not hyper. The room was not loud at all, with just a lull of chatter from the kids.
This was yet another reason for me to take the fitness centre job...I am able to volunteer in his class Friday afternoons. I will go in about once every 6 Fridays. I can't wait to go back in the new year!
There is also a boy in his class with autism. I have not yet met anyone who so reminded me of Cuyler than this little guy. Cute as a button. Beautiful big brown eyes. Round chubby cheeks.
But moreso his mannerisms. His mannerisms are indenticle to Cuy's. If you have an ASD child you know what I mean. Just things YOUR child has. The way they hold their head. Shift their eyes. Sit in a chair. Sing a song and move their body to the words...it was bizarre.
But nice to see. Cuy is a year and a half younger than this boy. This boy was also just diagnosed this past August at age 4. Cuy was diagnosed at age 2yr6mos.
Just seeing him function the way he did in a mainstream classroom was almost a relief.
But also opened my eyes. Kids like Cuy could get lost and fall through the system. He participates. He functions and follows their schedule. He behaves. He doesn't really stand out of the crowd.
But he also will not learn like the others. And could possibly be overlooked and fall way behind without the proper supports. So it has stregnthened my resolve to always be his advocate and be that pain-in-the-ass parent that I need to be to get my boy what he needs to be successful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Wow. That's awesome how great he is doing in class! I'm sure that made your day, week, month! I agree with you when you say it's interesting to see the mannerism of other ASD children, especially if they have some similar to your child. I found that I go...Huh..in my head. Sometimes I wonder if I said it out loud. I catch myself turning around to see if I did,it's such a big...Huh. Then I can't help but watch every child I pass for a couple days to see if I see it again, it's just so wild.

Kristin

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post, Irish.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home