What to do...What to do...
Cuyler's school is putting on a Christmas concert on Monday night. At a local theatre.
The "dress rehearsal" is Monday morning. They're taking a school bus to the dress rehearsal and again that evening at around 5pm. Concert starts at 5:30.
So my conundrum is:
Do I send him on the bus for the dress rehearsal?
~or do I wait in the parking lot, watching and drive him myself if he refuses to get on?
Do we drive him to the theatre at 5
~or drop him off at school to take the bus for the concert?
What if he refuses to participate?
Ever since his teacher brought up the concert idea I've been on board and so very excited about the whole prospect of him being involved in a group presentation. I imagined all the amazing photo's I would take of him onstage smiling, bouncing around, grinding his teeth and giggling.
I don't necessarily think he would participate in the same way that the other children would be. But for him to be in that setting, with the other kids and not scared shitless with a sensory overload.
But as we get closer and closer to the big day...I'm getting nervous. Big time nervous about the bus. Nervous that it will be too much for him with the bus and the theatre and the stage and the new/different environment...
But a part of me needs to give him the opportunity. To love it. Or to hate it.
Am I being irresponsible?
I feel like I know he won't go on the bus. Or into the theatre.
But I also need to let him prove me wrong, as he does do on occasion.
The whole bus thing too...am I wound too tight about this issue?
He is only just 3yrs old. 38pounds. Still legally needs to be in a 5pt harness carseat. So I am to be totally fine with him on a school bus, with no seatbelts?...I just don't know.
I had major issues the first time Cam went on a bus for his first school trip 2 months ago. He's only 33 pounds!
And my next dilemma regarding this whole concert is that we can only get 3 tix per family. I really wanted my sister and brother-in-law to come watch (they are coming from BC on Friday for Christmas). But I know my Mum will want to come, the in-laws, my Dad...
I guess they all could, providing there are extra tickets after every family gets their 3.
But then if he refuses to go onstage when they perform, what's the point?
Luckily enough, this is my biggest issue at the moment.
That, and we're apparently getting another dumping of snow tonight...


4 Comments:
I would vote for giving the bus a try. You know the drill by now- hope for the best, prepare for the worst. He might surprise you and really have a nice time. And if he hates it for the dress rehearsal, then you'll know to drive him to the concert.
I hate when we keep Henry from doing something because we are afraid he might freak out. When he does freak out, it really stinks. But (unfortunately) I'm used to that by now.
Looking forward to reading what happens.
Its the car seat issue that bothers me here. If they had a car seat on the bus I'd say go for it but I must admit that makes me nervous only because of how er... mobile our little ones can be.
If not for that I'd say go for it. Its like we've said before, if we don't expose them, we'll never know.
I am not sure about the laws in Canada, but here in CT, we had to put Andy in a carseat on the bus until he was 40# AND 4yo. After that , they use the belts on the bus. the pre-k busses have seatbelts, but the older kids busses have nothing (which makes me SO happy that Andy will be a "walker" next year!). I thought your laws were actually more strict about this than ours.
is riding the bus with him an option? or so you think he may go for it when he sees the teacher and other students getting on the bus?
I totally see why you ar eso torn this is an opportunity for a huge success or a huge failure...
GL and You better post some of those concert pictures!
I think it sounds like you can do a dress rehearsal with the bus, in addition to the show. Perhaps you can have him take the bus to the rehearsal and be in the parking lot, but help him get on the bus if there's trouble, but not drive yourself. Make it clear that the teacher that you really need to know (to the extent possible) how he does because the actual show is the #1 priority, with your family being there and all (alas, not all of them).
That way, you can give Cuyler the chance--and our kids can really surprise us.
Having a picture schedule or simple verbal explanation of what is going to happen is also really helpful. I'll say, "Today you are taking the bus to the rehearsal. It will be different and it will be good. And then you'll do the rehearsal!" Or some such----
Post a Comment
<< Home