Friday, December 02, 2005

Goal Set:
For Cuyler to drink from a regular cup, no sippy, no straw, no lid.


Goal Met:




I am so thrilled! We've been working on this for about a week now. It only took a day or two at school for him to not be so resistant to the cup. It took him a few tries before he was comfortable from a sensory standpoint and confident enough to control the drink.
I am thrilled because both times the OT has come to see him at school - he's been successful reaching his goal within a week. The first one was to get dressed in his outdoor/winter gear without struggle. To use his visual schedule as an aid to dress for outside time. And now that's a non-issue.
And the cup - she went to see him at school last week and he's mastered the cup already (ok...close enough - he doesn't need a lid or straw now). He can even drink with one hand.

I am so damn proud of him.

I think I may have to take the part time job at the fitness centre. Our SLP (totally last minute) got Cuy into a social group therapy for kids with ASD. There are 2 SLP's (speech/language path's) and a max of 4 kids. It focusses on and is to help specifically with receptive language and comprehension. One of his his main areas of concern and his biggest delay.
I am really happy he got into it. Relieved that we are getting one more bit of intervention as every single thing helps.
However the session are 8 weeks long and run every Thursday from 1:30-2:30.
So that's where my employment consideration needs to come in. Plus if he goes to CIP in the summer, that's every Tue, Wed, Thur for 6 weeks. I will not send my child to a program in a cab by himself. I know families who have had no choice but to do that and there is no way I will.

The money will come - eventually and we won't be broke forever. We won't. I will start part time now and as I am needed less and less (ie: he's in school full days) I will get a full time job.
He is only young for so long and the window of learning is wide open right now. I need to dedicate as much as I can NOW.
I have many regrets. I do not want to regret anything as far as my kids are concerned. Being with them as often as I can - I would never regret.
And this way I can still make a little bit of money (a tiny bit...) with room to grow. And try different things.

I still feel bad for not wanting to go full time. It would help us out a great deal...but I have to focus on the kids and me. I need to be happy. Aside from the low wages, I think the part time job would be a great balance for me.

And right now it's all about balance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

I guess he is over the jacket phobia.. Look at him go! he really is doing SO well. and I think you need to take some credit for that! you are there for him and you have made sure he gets every possible intervention. that is more important than the money now. you have a home, food and clothes. the rest will come, like you said.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home